2 cups basmati rice, or amber rice
1 onion, finely chopped
3 tbsp margarine, or oil
2 tbsp saffron
2 chicken stock cubes dissolved in 2 cups water
1/4 cup almonds, blanched and halved
1/4 cup raisins
2 tbsp rose water
1 tsp all spices
2 pieces cardamom
2 bay leaves
1. Put saffron in a small bowl with rose water and 1 tbsp water. Set aside. Wash rice well under running water and drain.
2. In a medium deep non-stick pan heat and stir 1 tbsp margarine or oil, almonds and raisins over medium heat until golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In the same pan heat and stir onion and remaining margarine until yellow. Add half quantity of saffron mix, all spices, stock, cardamoms, bay leaf and salt and bring to boil.
4. Add rice and stir. Cook until water is almost absorbed. Cover, move to low heat and leave to cook for 20-30 minutes.
5. Put rice on a serving platter and sprinkle remaining saffron and rose water mix. Sprinkle fried almonds and raisins on top. You can also add fried pine nuts
Note: You may need to put more or less quantity of water on the rice depending on the kind you use.
Main ingredients: rice, saffron, nuts, onions
Time of preparation: 15 minutes
Time of cooking: 45 minutes